Sunday, September 23, 2007

In Nature

I went to the Leaning Pine Arboretum at Cal Poly yesterday. My primary aim was to get in my 30 minutes of exercise, and I worried that it might prove difficult in such a small garden (about 5 acres, about 1/2 mile around).

Fortunately I brought my camera. This way I could cut across trails and go onto side paths to add more to the length of the trek, and I could stop to smell the roses. To take pictures.

I am not a fan of roses. And there were none there that I could see. But I do love a lot of other plants. and this one, the one above, really got to me. Not only is it a most interesting looking bloom, but those leaves! Geometrically designed, yet curling in that most happy way. This could almost be a happiness symbol.

Being outside near natural beauty always energizes and cheers me. I feel lifted and fulfilled. If this isn't happiness I don't know what is.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

S. said...

Very neat geometric pattern.

Am really enjoying that you're seeking beauty. You might have "appreciation of beauty" in your top strengths.... you can take the assessment at the website of a mentor of mine, Martin Seligman: www.authentichappiness.org. take the "Signature Strengths Questionnaire" to learn your strengths.

Best,
Senia from Senia.com

Judith Lautner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judith Lautner said...

Thanks, Senia! I will look into those.

For some reason a previous post of mine, in another journal, ended up here instead of this one! I hope this one goes where it should.