Friday, September 28, 2007

Having and Wanting

I just finished a book by Elizabeth George. It's a turn for George, a different perspective, yet fits with how she writes. She writes mysteries with great characters and many details. Many of the details do not go anywhere in terms of clearing up the puzzle in the story. But they are like real life. In this book, What Came Before He Shot Her, she explores what sent a 12-year-old on a mission that ended up with a woman dead.



Part of the story involves the aunt of the 12-year-old, who is struggling to act as single parent to these children, who were thrust upon her without her consent. As we get deep into the book she starts to see where she may have gone wrong and says, "I didn't see that what I had was more important than what I wanted."

Seems just the ticket. I'm writing it this way: "Remember that what I have is more important than what I want."

So my four commandments are:

1. Be Judy
2. Act As If
3. Be open to loving and being loved
4. Remember that what I have is more important than what I want.

No comments: